About Us

About Cappagh National Orthopaedic HospitalCappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is Irelands' major centre for elective orthopaedic surgery. Cappagh has been the pioneer of Orthopaedic Surgery in Ireland and is now the biggest dedicated Orthopaedic hospital in the country.

Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital is a Voluntary Hospital founded in 1908 under the care of the Religious Sisters of Charity. It was once renowned for its 'Open Air' wards and for its surgical treatment of children with TB from the 1920s. It is now an elective hospital with 160 beds, 11 of which are semi-private. The hospital provides the full range of Orthopaedic services including Major Joint Replacement (Ankle, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist), Spinal Surgery, Primary Bone Tumour service, Paediatric orthopaedics and Sports Injuries. The Orthotic Unit produces artificial limbs, braces and other aids for patients from all over the country.

In addition, the Active Rehabilitation Unit, established in 2012, is a 42-bedded unit providing a multidisciplinary service to persons over the age of 65 years whose acute care is completed but for whom discharge to their destination is delayed and an additional 10 beds which focuses on the rehabilitation needs of patients under 65 years following an acute medical episode.

The hospital has links with Beaumont Hospital, Children's University Hospital, Temple Street , Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, Mater University Hospital, St. Vincent's University Hospital, St. Michael's Hospital, Dun Laoghaire, St. Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown and St James' Hospital.

Mission Statement

We are inspired by the love of Catherine McAuley and the Sisters of Mercy.

We strive to Care for all patients with excellence, Cherish the uniqueness of each person and Treat them with compassion, love and integrity.

We are constantly challenged to meet the needs of our times in all aspects of care, through ongoing education and research.